Political Officer -Job Vacancies in Nigeria : British High Commission – This is an exciting role in a part of Africa that has received renewed UK and Ministerial attention since the election in 2015 of President Buhari.
Political Officer -Job Vacancies in Nigeria : British High Commission
POSITION : Political Officer (01/16 PHT)
Roles and Responsibilities
Main purpose of job:
- Although a small team in Port Harcourt you will be part of a much bigger network in Nigeria. The British High Commission, based in Abuja has representation from all sectors of UK Government and offices in several locations across the country.
- Your job would be to manage a small team based in Port Harcourt working closely with the Political Officer in Abuja to ensure the British High Commissioner is kept well informed of political, security and economic events in the Niger Delta.
- There will be significant travel opportunities and engagement with key local senior Governors.
Roles and Responsibilities / What Will the Jobholder Be Expected to Achieve?:
- Reporting: Ensure the British High Commission is kept up to date on political, security and economic events (announcements by the Governors in Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa and Akwa-Ibom states; changes within their senior teams; news of inward investments being made by British or other significant companies; news of security incidents (militancy, kidnapping).
- Analysis: Provide political analysis of the Niger Delta region; including making sense of the reporting, spotting trends, identifying threats and opportunities for the UK (x-HMG), giving advice on what we should be doing where and informing the UK’s priorities in the Delta.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Develop and sustain a network of contacts with key political, security, business and NGO contacts in the 4 states. Advising on who the 2nd secretary political officer, Political Counsellor and British High Commissioner and others (DA) should be connecting with, how and when.
- Programme arrangements: Assist with planning and delivery of visits (from Abuja, but also from London) to the region.
- Management of the Port Harcourt office: Effective leadership of Port Harcourt team including ensuring smooth running of office and line management of Office Manager.
- Consular: Provide consular support as and when needed. Act as initial point of contact in a crisis until a member of the consular team from Lagos can arrive to give more direct support
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Experience of managing teams
- A high level of oral and written English skills
- Strong organisational skills including attending to detail, keeping track of deadlines, and ability to manage own work with limited supervision
- Strong collaborative skills including professional and confident communication with external stakeholders and team members
- IT skills including in MS Office applications Word and Excel
Desirable qualifications and experience:
- Prior experience of working with the UK or other governments, NGOs or similar oganisations
- Additonal IT skills including Powerpoint
- Knowledge / interest in political issues in Niger Delta
- Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Managing a Quality Service
Starting salary: N745,870.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Click Here to apply
- Please complete the application form in full. Failure to do so may result in a determination that you do not meet the requirements for the position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Port Harcourt are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Country will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.